Mary and Jeff Bell Library
Bell Library - Laptop Checkout Guidelines
Mary & Jeff Bell Library Media Center laptops are available for use in the Library by current Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi students. Students asking to borrow a laptop must have a current TAMU-CC SandDollar$ ID in your possession and be in our computer database. Laptops can be checked out at the Media Laptop Center (Rm. 216B) desk upon presenting a student ID and signing the User Agreement. Students are financially responsible for loss or damage.
- Eligibility. Only those students in possession of a current Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi SandDollar$ ID and currently in our computer database will be allowed to check out a Media Center Laptop. Student must also be in good standing with the Mary & Jeff Bell Library. To remain in good standing with the Mary & Jeff Bell Library a student cannot exceed $15.00 in fines or have record block due to other infractions, and must return previously borrowed laptops in satisfactory condition.
- Location. All laptops can be checked out in the Media Laptop Center, room 216B of the Mary & Jeff Bell Library. Laptops must be returned to the same location.
- Hours of Availability. Laptops will be available for use Monday - Thursday 10am - 6pm. Laptops will not be available on Fridays, weekends or during semester breaks.
- Duration of Availability. Laptops may be used in the Library for up to three hours, and are renewable once, if no one is waiting.
- Fines/Penalties. Overdue fines are $15.00 per hour, with a max of $150.00. Partial hours will be billed at the full hourly overdue rate. Overdue fines are non-refundable. The replacement cost of the equipment plus a $10.00 billing fee will be assessed if a laptop is lost, stolen, or damaged. Replacement cost for components will be determined at the time of occurrence. Costs are subject to change within a given semester due to the current market value of the laptop and its components.
- Reservation Details. Laptops are not reserve items. They are available on a first-come first-served basis.
- Checkout Guidelines. Students must provide a valid SandDollar$ ID and currently be enrolled in Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi. Upon the first laptop checkout students will read and sign the Laptop User Agreement. Students may check out one laptop per person per University ID. Laptops must be returned by the same student who checked out the laptop.
The borrowing student is solely responsible for the laptop and all its components. If damage occurs to any component or accessory, charges will be imposed as appropriate. A replacement cost of the equipment plus a $10.00 billing fee will be assessed if a laptop is lost, stolen, or damaged. Replacement costs for components will be determined at the time of occurrence. Costs are subject to change within a given semester.
Students are not to leave a laptop unattended, the borrowing student is responsible for the laptop until it is returned and checked in.
At the time of check-in Media Laptop Center personnel will conduct a thorough examination of the laptop to ensure it has been returned in proper working condition.
Acceptable Use Policies.
All laptops have limited programs available for use. The borrowing student will not alter the current software, install or download new software or plugins and will not change any current laptop settings.
Any material deemed in violation of the University Computer Use Policies will be reported to campus authorities and the Dean of Students.Use and Checkout.
- All borrowing students will be required to sign a Laptop User Agreement stating that they have read and will adhere to all policies and procedures, and accept full responsibility of the equipment.
- Borrowing students will be required to provide a valid SandDollar$ ID and be currently enrolled as a student at Texas A&M Unversity - Corpus Christi.
- Borrowing students should be proficient in the use of the hardware/software they plan to access. Assistance in the use of either hardware or software is not available.
- Laptops may be used in the Library only, and for up to three hours.
- Borrowing students may checkout one laptop per person per University ID.
- Laptops are renewable once. When renewing the laptop the borrowing student must return the current laptop to be rescanned. The battery life is approximately 2 ½ hours. The laptop will notify the borrowing student via a pop-up dialog box when the battery begins to run low.
- No food or drinks should be in the immediate vicinity of the laptop.
- Never leave a laptop unattended or anywhere where it may be damaged by water or extreme heat/cold.
- The Laptop Checkout Station will determine the time due for all laptops. Students will be given a receipt with the checkout time and the time to be returned. Any accrued fines will not be dismissed for reason of using other clocks located within the library.
- If a laptop is returned in unsatisfactory condition i.e. altered, damaged, or missing parts, the borrowing student's laptop privileges may be revoked.
- All laptops must be returned to the Media Laptop Center where they will be examined to determine their working condition.
- Charges will be assessed for late, missing, damaged, lost, or stolen laptops and components.
We invite questions and/or comments and look forward to hearing from you. Contact Abel Cantu at email@example.com.
Webpage revised on 07/30/2014