Plats of James Manning Property, 1868
The James M. Manning Papers consist of approximately 173 documents dealing with surveying in South Texas during the nineteenth century. James M. Manning (?-1872) was one of the initial surveyors in the San Patricio, Nueces County, and South Texas areas. He was appointed Deputy Surveyor of San Patricio County on March 8, 1838, at a time when much of South Texas, including present day Nueces County, was a part of that jurisdiction. His appointment likewise occurred only two years after the establishment of the General Land Office of the Republic of Texas and one year after legislation created land districts with surveyors and deputy surveyors in each county. Manning was one of many surveyors who came to Texas lured by the promise of real estate. When the Texas boundary was permanently extended to the Rio Grande in 1846, Manning served as one of the first Anglo-American surveyors of this region. His work influenced other early South Texas surveyors such as Felix A. Blucher.
Like other surveyors of his time, Manning was a land speculator who operated as far south as the Rio Grande River. In 1851 he and two partners tried to establish the town site of Alamo in Starr County. He also owned land in Corpus Christi and Nueces County as well as in Rockport, Refugio County where he built a house in 1871. He died in 1872, survived by his wife, Mary A. Manning.
The James M. Manning Papers are organized into two sections: 1) Personal Records which include personal correspondence, financial documents, land transactions, his will and other such matters, and 2) Surveyor Records including business correspondence, survey requests, land applications and certificates, bills and receipts, deeds, contracts, agreements, plats, surveys, maps, field notes, and other legal and surveying documents. Altogether, they represent a seminal collection of South Texas surveying records and supplement the other local surveyors’ collections held by the department.
The Manning Papers are itemized to be of service to many audiences, including practicing surveyors to confirm boundaries and land ownership in South Texas. Particular attention was paid to the various spellings of proper names so that contemporary surveyors might locate lands by their early owners.
The James M. Manning Papers were acquired through a cooperative effort among A&M-Corpus Christi and community people, including Dr. Gary A. Jeffress, the Conrad Blucher Institute, Special Collections & Archives, Rex H. Stever, noted postal historian, J. Dale Moore and Robert L. Young of the Frontier Surveying Company, the Coastal Bend Chapter 12, Texas Society of Professional Surveyors, and many other individuals.
Initial inventory of the collection was done by Sheron Barnes. Completed organization, item list, and website link were done by Erin L. Nuckols in 2009.
Series I. Personal Records, 26 Documents
Folder 1.1 Personal Correspondence, 1851, 1882, 1886, 4 Items.
- 1. Letter to James Manning from Pahmart [Pansent] Co. [?]
- Victoria July 7, 1851
- 2. Post card to H.B. Wools Federalsburg [?] M.D.
- Rockport February 2, 1882
- 3. Copy of Letter to Federalsburg Carolina Co., MD from B. Merchant Esq.
- Rockport, TX March 31, 1882
- 4. Letter to CJ Baily Esq. Corpus Christi from George F. Perrenct [?] Rockport
- Aransas Co. March 17, 1886
Folder 1.2 Personal Financial Documents, 1848,1858-1859, 1861, 1871, 1873, 1878, 1884, 9 Items.
- 1. Jury summons for James Manning for County of Nueces, State of Texas
- Corpus Christi February 14, 1848
- 2. Tax Receipt for Mary Ann Manning for the year of 1858 paid in 1859
- Nueces County
- 3. Tax receipt for James Manning for the year of 1858 paid in 1859
- Nueces County
- 4. Payment slip from Thomas B Hooper [?] clerk of the district to James Manning for service in court
- Nueces County 1861
- 5. Tax receipt for Mary Manning
- Nueces County November 20, 1871
- 6. Tax receipt for Mary Manning
- Aransas County December 5, 1873
- 7. Tax receipt for HB Wools (Merchant Dept)
- Aransas County, Rockport May 23, 1878
- 8. Tax receipt for HB Wools
- Aransas County, Rockport April 3, 1884
- 9. Tax Receipt for HB Wools
- Aransas county, Rockport March [?] 3, 1884
Folder 1.3 Survey Requests, 1838, 1839, 1840, 4 Items.
- 1. To County Surveyor from James M. Manning
- San Petracio [Patricio] February 22, 1838
- 2. To Mr. Laener [?] survey request from James M. Manning
- San Patricio June 1839
- 3. Confirmation of Land Warrants and scripts from P.P.[H]. Grammont County Surveyor of San Patricio
- Victoria November 5, 1839
- 4. Confirmation of league and labor issue received by P.P.H. Grammont County Surveyor San Patricio
- Victoria February 26, 1840
Folder 1.4 Last Will and Housing, 1871, 1872-1873, 2 Items.
- 1. Copy of Acknowledgement to James Reynolds for building James Manning’s House
- Rockport, Texas February 25, 1871
- 2. Certified transcript and copy Last Will and Testament of James M. Manning of Nueces County
- Texas June 3, 1872 Official July 11, 1873 by District Court Clerk of Nueces County Joseph Hb[?] Simuns
Folder 1.5 Town Site of Alamo, 1851, N.d., 3 Items.
- 1. Agreement between Jack R. Everitt and James Manning and Jacob F. Welsh for the creation of Alamo Town
- County of Starr February 1, 1851
- 2. Bill for Alamo town split between Everitt, Manning, and Welsh
- February 2, 1851
- 3. Map of Alamo Town [hand-drawn]
Folder 1.6 Creative Works, N.d., 1 Item.
- 1. Poem, "Consierto de las Ninfas"
- Not dated, no author
Folder 1.7 Lists, 1850, 1859, N.d., 3 Items.
- 1. Sales of one case of bleached domestic for account and risk of James M. Manning from February to December 1849 E + CE F. Belam H.
- Corpus Christi January 1, 1850
- 2. Bat of Elios Taft Aldacih [?] Mr. James M. Manning
- December 5, 1859
- 3. Loads of wood hauled to Rockport
Series II. Surveyor Records, 147 Documents
Folder 1.8 General Correspondence, 1838, 1841, 1847, 5 Items.
- 1. To Mr. Grammont from Sam [?] Hares [?]
- Victoria Nov. 1, 1838
- 2. To Mr. Bryan Isg. Present [?] From S. Murchouts [?]
- Nov. 4, 1838
- 3. Letter of DP Cook directing to Mrs. Morris
- Austin June 1, 1841
- 4. To Mr. Deuffur from Box agent [initialed] on behalf of James M. Manning
- Victoria March 11, 1847
- 5. Letter to JM Manning Esq
- Goliad Oct. 20, 1847
Folder 1.9 General Correspondence, 1854, 1868, 1871, N.d., 6 Items.
- 1. Letter to Jas. M. Manning Sir from AH Lea
- Refugio April 10, 1854
- 2. Note from John Millit [?]
- Rockport Aug. 8, 1868
- 3. Letter to Melfors [?], Fly, and McClauchan [?]
- Rockport, Texas Oct. 8, 1868
- 4. Confirmation of sent deed to Mr. EW Richards from James M. Manning
- Corpus Christi Jan. 20, 1871
- 5. Land dispute from JMM to JW Stockley
- Corpus Christi Aug 21, 1871
- 6. Onstractions [?] from the County Surveyor
- Victoria June…[?] N.d.
Folder 1.10 Survey Requests for James M. Manning, 1838, N.d., 6 Items.
- 1. From WM Brennon to Mr. Manning
- San Patricio April 1st, 1838
- 2. From M. Thouhson [?] to Mr. Manning
- San Patricio April 21, 1838
- 3. From GW Wright
- April 30th, 1838
- 4. AH Leas order for survey
- Corpus Christi Undated
- 5. Quality of land survey request from DL Wood
- 6. Survey Request – Copy of Locations for E. Fitzgerald
- N.E. Bank of Rio Grande Undated
Folder 1.11 Survey Requests for Others, 1838, N.d., 4 Items.
- 1. From JP Golightly to Mr. Buerhauuau Surveyor
- San Patricio County Mar. 7, 1838
- 2. From Geo. M. Bonnell to Mr. Buerhauuau Surveyor
- San Patricio County Mar. 9, 1838
- 3. From WH Harris to Deputy Surveyor
- San Patricio County Mar. 31, 1838
- 4. Survey Req. to John Buerhauuau Surveyor from Nath. H. Watrous
- San Patricio Cty Undated
Folder 1.12 Land Applications, 1838, 5 Items.
- 1. Z.N. Morrel’s application ----tracts of Land filed:
- April 23, ‘38
- 2. Land Application from Merrel agent to WM Lloyd
- May 3, 1938
- 3. HM Hubbard application for league of land [to [S or L] d. Patrick [?]]
- May 5, 1838
- 4. HM Hubbard [to [S or L] d. Patrick [?]]
- May 5, 1838
- 5. Application for WS Fisher and heirs [?]
- Nueces River May 30, 1838
Folder 1.13 Vouchers/Credits, 1850-1851, 1859, 2 Items.
- 1. Credits: Dr. Austrian Leals
- 2. Promise to pay from Francisco Bennividas to James M. Manning
- Corpus Christi Oct. 21, 1859
Folder 1.14 Blucher Bill, 1867, 1 Item.
- 1. Copy of account rendered JM Manning to FA Blucher
- October 1, 1867
Folder 1.15 Richardson Bills/Receipts, N.d., 2 Items.
- 1. DL Richardson Bill for surveying
- 2. Mr. Daniel L. Richardson for surveying
Folder 1.16 Fisher Assorted Documents, N.d., 3 Items.
- 1. Mr. WS Fisher and Mr. Edward Hall for surveying
- 2. Mr. WS Fisher for surveying
- 3. List of Certificates Received from WmS Fisher
Folder 1.17 Long Assorted Documents, 1868, N.d., 2 Items.
- 1. W-H Long bill for surveying 320 acres Land R.P. [T]aus cert.
- St. Marys July 15, 1868
- 2. Survey and field notes bill W-H Long Dr
Folder 1.18 Bills/Receipts, 1838, 1839, 4 Items.
- 1. Bill of Surveys Mr. Smith [?] and Morehous to James M. Manning Dr. a. Sketch [hand-drawn]
- Sanpatricio Apr 23, 1838
- 2. Form of Receipt for a survey of part of the land. Land entitlement from the war department
- May19, 1838
- 3. The amount of Col. Harrison bill
- Houston Jun 11, 1838
- 4. Receipt of Elten O Douenau in for of a note of the 23 June
- Victoria Jun 23, 1839
Folder 1.19 Bills/Receipts, 1847,1848, 1849, 6 Items.
- 1. WRB Wills Receipt for Monroe Edwards cert.
- Galveston Apr 22, 1847
- 2. Note regarding land claims and bill for Mr. Rufus Wright
- Galveston May 8, 1847
- 3. Receipt of survey bill for Pumphry Burnett
- Jun 2, 1847
- 4. Mr. Alexander receipt for deed
- Galveston, Texas June 8, [?] 1847
- 5. Newcomb Receipt for the fees in Tartleys [?] will [?]
- Sept 22, 1848
- 6. Col. Surely [?] act Received of James M. Manning the within amount in full
- June 29, 1849
Folder 1.20 Bills/Receipts, 1851, 1852, 1853, 11854, 1859, 8 Items.
- 1. R.L. Trimble receipt for land cert. + field notes
- Rio Grande Sept 5, 1851
- 2. Hailey Receipt for cost
- Oct 26, 1851
- 3. Cash on the within [3x] [amounts vary] [signed by] James M. Manning
- Corpus Christi 1852
- 4. JL Huntington’s bill for Land –
- Corpus Christi July 9, 1853
- 5. David Sifson[?] receipt
- Corpus Christi Feb 22, 1854
- 6. BF Neals $ Order
- Corpus Christi April 15, 1854
- 7. Receipt of W – R Reid Surveyor of San Patricio Co Land W. No 2525 of 320 Acres
- San Patricio October 4, 1854
- 8. Receipt from L. Myer
- Corpus Christi Sept 10, 1859
Folder 1.21 Bills/Receipts, 1868, 1869, N.d., 8 Items.
- 1. WH Maltby receipt for advertisement card $6,00 Paid [typed]
- Corpus Christi, Texas Nov. 9, 1868
- 2. J Eupers [?] Bill paid to July 30th, 1869
- Rockport, Texas May 31, 1869
- 3. H Rea Bill for recording note + patton $2,00
- Refugio County July 12, 1869
- 4. [Bi]ll for surveying [J]H Pandexter [?] Land Scripts [?]
- State of Texas Undated
- 5. Mr. Loudoric Colynhan Bill for surveying
- 6. Bill to be paid to Mefser [?], Lewis, + Goosebeck + oblige James M. Manning
- 7. LP Cooks bill for surveying
- 8. Land Warrant for Sam M. Edwards
- Nueces County Undated
Folder 1.22 Land Certificates, 1831, 1837-1839, N.d., 4 Items.
- 1. Land dealing with heirs of William Moltey including Wilkinson, Dunn, Strode, Lea, Wildeu, Barrister, Ottwill And other names: Smith, Caldwell, Bell, Manning, Hassel, Steel, Bryau Sent to Geo. W. Woolls from Texas
- Philadelphia, Penna 10th of July 1831 [apparent copy]
- 2. List of S.A. Whites and Jos. J. James Certificates [Roughly 44 names] [varying dates]
- 3. Peter W Gray land certificates to Boswell, Deakyn, White
- 4. List of certificates in various counties from East Texas
Folder 1.23 Deeds, 1839, 1851, N.d., 4 Items.
- 1. Deeds of Sale and Conveyance between James M. Manning and Ellen O Donoran
- Victoria January 29, 1839
- 2. Deed of Sale between Alexander McDaniel and Richard Morris
- County of Harrisburg 8th Aug. 1839
- 3. Deed of Sale between James C. Pettyg�w and Polan T. Hoods [?]
- Corpus Christi September 4, 1851
- 4. Fragment of potential deed
- City of Houston Undated
Folder 1.24 Laws of Republic of Texas, 1868, 3 Items.
- 1. Volume I passed Dec. 22 1836, Sealed officially in Corpus Christi by Joseph FitzSimmiores [?]
- Nueces County 9th June AD 1868
- 2. In relation for surveying Land Script
- Nueces County 9th June AD 1868
- 3. Volume III, Authorizing deputy surveyors to survey all Land Script in accordance with Law
- Nueces County 10th June AD 1868
Folder 1.25 Assorted Legal Documents, 1830s-1840s, 1838, 1840, 1855, 1866, N.d., 7 Items.
- 1. Certification of appearance before Board of Land Commissioners
- Jasper County, Rep. of Texas circa 1830s-1840s
- 2. Deputized by John Buckhanan [J.M. Manning]
- San Patricio County, Rep. of Texas Mar. 8, 1838
- 3. Promissory Note [typed] between Lamar and Merson [?]
- City of Austin, Rep. of Texas July 20th, 1840
- 4. Note about attached statement to James M. Manning from Crosby [?] [No attached statement found]
- Austin to Corpus Christi March 30, 1855
- 5. James M. Manning binding agreement with James [?] F Casey Sr. for sum of money
- Webb Cty. State of Texas Oct. 27, 1866
- 6. Copy of Letter to gen,l [?] Land Office
- Rockport, Refugio Co Oct. 19, 1868
- 7. Authorization of certificate transfers to James M. Manning from Angus McNeil
Folder 1.26 Contracts/Agreements, 1839, 1844, 1850, 3 Items.
- 1. Bennit agreement [signed by his mark]
- Victoria July 6, 1839
- 2. Contract for House [for Renting House] signed by: Costello, Webb, Kietits [?] and Manning as agent for [his] wife Victoria Cty, Rep. of Texas signed: 2nd February 1844
- Lease: 1st March 1844 to 1st March 1845
- 3. Mu�oz [signed by his mark] contract with James M. Manning, Witnessed by M. Hevens [?] and Modesto de la Garza Gerrero
- August 13, 1850
Folder 1.27 Bounty Warrants, 1836-1839, N.d., 2 Items.
- 1. List of Bounty + Donation Land Warrants Remaining in the County District Surveyors Office not located [38 Names] [was attached by nail:] Letter from John Adriand [?] to Mr. Manning
- San Patricio Co [?] 1836-1839
- 2. Bounty Warrant, Benjamin H. Hawkins
- Jasper County Undated
Folder 1.28 King Ranch Area, N.d., 2 Items.
- 1. Land plats at the confluence at Santa Gertrudis and San Fernando Creeks [King Ranch, Juan Mendiola Grant]
- 2. Oversized Map of Copano Bay Area
Folder 1.29 Land Plats/Surveys, N.d., 7 Items.
- 1. Plat Survey of Corpus Christi Bay Area
- 2. Survey along Nueces River
- 3. Mose Evans locations
- 4. Plat of Town Tract Unidentified
- 5. Plats of Land at Mouth of Salado – Bellville
- 6. Copy of Judge Lea and adjoining [property?]
- 7. Land Plat on Aransas Bay Unidentified
Folder 1.30 Land Plats/Surveys, N.d., 6 Items
- 1. Map of Aqua Dulce
- 2. Unidentified land plat along Matamorris Road
- 3. Live Oak Point plat of preemptions
- 4. Map of Sengas and San Catarina
- 5. Coast Route to point Isabel and Matamoros, plat of coast road to Matamoros
- 6. Sketch of [livestock] pen
Folder 1.31 Map and Field Notes, 1868, 1 Item.
- 1. Copy of Field notes and tracing of surveys on Live Oak Peninsula
- State of Texas District of Refugio January 14, 1868
Folder 1.32 Survey Log Book, 1839, 1 Item.
- 1. Survey log book
- Nueces area Throughout 1839
Folder 1.33 Survey Log Book, 1839, 1 Item.
- 1. Survey log book
- Nueces area Throughout 1839
Folder 1.34 Field Notebook, 1839, 1 Item.
- 1. Field notes, ledger, and personal writings of Mr. Manning [presumed] in notebook style document
Folder 1.35 Field Notebook, N.d., 1 Item.
- 1. Unidentified field notes and survey in notebook style document
Folder 1.36 Assorted Business and Field Notes, 1839, N.d., 8 Items.
- 1. Notes on surveying Names: Dearing [?], Wheelinght [?], Marion, Barret
- 2. [Hand-drawn] sketches of plats and notes about Corpus Christi in relation to Chihuahua and Aransas Pass
- 3. Notes about land abstract
- 4. [Hand-drawn] sketches on Convers [?] of surveys above the White House
- 5. Direction to place of survey
- 6. [Hand-drawn] plat sketch and notes on sketch
- 7. Memorandum of locations made [?] by G.R. Lewis Names: Mills, Blackwell, Curbier [?], Bexas, Galbraith [?]
- 8. Notes on land around San Hamy [?]
Folder 1.37 Surveys, 1838, 1839, 4 Items.
- 1. Survey No. 1, West of the Nueces of one third of a league
- 2. Survey N19, of one third of a league of land for Nathan H. Wathons [?][Mathews?] Names: Lind, Bonnell, Richardson, Berry, and Fairchild
- San Patricio April 25th AD 1838
- 3. Survey No 24, West of the Nueces of one third of a league of land for WH Harris Names: Barrow, Barnet, Smith, Fogg
- San Patricio April 30, 1838
- 4. Survey No 71, West of the Nueces and connected with Corpus Christi Bay for Beckham Names: Brown, Dixon, Manning
- San Patricio January 21, 1839
Folder 1.38 Surveys, 1839, 1854, N.d., 5 Items.
- 1. Copy of survey No. 75, C.O. D. Helly, 1476 acres [hand-drawn, colored sketch] Names: Beckham, Brown, Dixon, Manning
- San Patricio Janz 26, 1839
- 2. Copy of survey No 83, [hand-drawn, colored sketch] Names: Beckham, Sillsby [?], Brown, Dixon, Manning
- San Patricio Janz 31, 1839
- 3. [Side One:] Survey no 82, Heirs of Pumphry Burnett Names: Hull, Brown, Dixon
- San Patricio January 30, 1839
- [Side Two:] Survey No 83 Names: Beckham, Sillsbee, heirs of Burnett, Brown, Dixon
- San Patricio January 31, 1839
- 4. Copy of meanders of survey on Live Oak point as given me [J.M.M.] in AD 1854 by A.H. Lea surveyor,
- Refugio Co
- 5. Map and meander of surveys on Live Oak Point
Folder 1.39 Surveys in Spanish, N.d [?], 3 Items.
- 1. Copy of Mexican survey and polsesion --- [?]
- 2. Las Disturicies en castelluna de Medida
- Undated [?]
- 3. Survey in Spanish
- Undated [?]
Folder 1.40 Plat/Survey in Spanish, N.d. [?], 1 Item.
- 1. Mexican map of pasa mahurs [?] survey 10 leagues
- Undated [?]
Folder 1.41 Survey Lists [Names], 18836, 1837, 1838,1839, 3 Items.
- 1. Copy, List of surveys made by James M. Manning [Approximately 34 names]
- 1836, 1837, 1838
- 2. Duplicate list of surveys in the District of Nueces [Approximately 11 names]
- 3. Duplicate list of surveys in the District of Nueces by Manning [Approximately 9 names]
Folder 1.42 Survey Lists [Numbers], N.d., 7 Items.
- 1. Seven Undated, Longitude, Latitude, and Directional Survey lists
Folder 1.43 Rules for Surveying, N.d., 5 Items.
- 1. Rule for when the bearing and distance are given
- 2. To find the Log
- 3. Note, Find log, rule
- 4. Latitude + Longitude of principal places in the State of New Leon Mexico
- 5. Computations of areas field book methods
Folder 1.44 Logarithm Notations, N.d., 4 Items.
- 1. Architectural Drawings
- 2.-4. Logarithm Notations
Folder 1.45 Geometrical Drawings Field Notebook, N.d., 1 Item.
- 1. Geometrical Drawings Field Notebook
Folder 1.46 Assorted Items, N.d., 1 Item.
- 1. Empty envelope
We invite questions and/or comments and look forward to hearing from you. Contact Ann Hodges at email@example.com, (361)825-2301.
Webpage revised on