Mary and Jeff Bell Library
Bell Library - Media Laptop Center
The Media Laptop Center maintains a collection of 60 wireless laptops for in-house student use only. Laptops are available Monday through Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. They offer students an alternative to the traditional campus lab environment and facilitate both group and individual study in the library. Laptops are equipped with batteries, wireless network cards, and USB drive connectivity. All laptops feature the standard Microsoft Office Suite software package and the choice of two internet browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer). Every semester students who wish to checkout laptops are required to read and sign a laptop user agreement form indicating they agree and understand the terms and their responsibilities under the laptop checkout program.
Originally launched and constructed in 2002, the laptop checkout program consisted of 36 laptops and a few wireless access points made possible by a grant from the Telecommunications Infrastructure Fund (TIF). In 2006 the library continued funding the laptop checkout program by purchasing an additional 36 laptops bringing the total count to 72. Today, the University Technology Council (UTC) funds the 60 computers for the library's laptop checkout program.
General Rules and Guidelines for Media Laptop Usage
- No Laptops will be checked out after 5:00 p.m.
- All laptops must be returned to the Laptop Center by 6:00 p.m.
- Laptops may only be borrowed for up to 3 hours and may only be used in the library.
- Laptops that are returned late are subject to a $15.00 per hour fine. All fines may be paid at the Library's main Circulation Desk on the first floor. Students accruing $15.00 or more in library fines are unable to borrow additional materials until fines are paid.
- All laptops are wireless and have the ability to search the Internet and print from anywhere in the library.
We invite questions and/or comments and look forward to hearing from you. Contact Abel Cantu at email@example.com.
Webpage revised on 07/30/2014